[Xen-users] Re: Error: Migration not permitted with assigned PCIdevice

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <federico@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Error: Migration not permitted with assigned PCIdevice
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:15:49 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 07:16:47 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
We use Digi Serial-over-IP devices to pass through serial ports to domUs.  We've had success with the Digi One SP, PortServer TS, and Passport devices.  I currently use the Passport 48 for IP access to all of my serial consoles (Ethernet switches, RAID arrays, FC switches, etc.) as well as to pass through a modem to my HylaFAX server, which is in a Xen domU.

-Nick

Nick Couchman wrote:
> How do you expect to do live migration of a machine that has a PCI
> device assigned?  What if you migrate to another server that does not
> have that PCI device, or has it, but at a different bus location?  This
> could cause major problems in the machine after migration.  Xen doesn't
> know (and doesn't care) what type of PCI device you're passing through,
> so what if it's a storage controller?  If you're allowed to migrate a
> machine with PCI devices assigned, and you migrate one that has a
> storage controller assigned, the machine is going to crash.

Well, I understand that it is a complex task, but maybe there could be a
list of "migrable PCI devices" that wouldn't give problems to Xen.. And
of course it would work only with ad-hoc configured machines.. I wasn't
getting into the details, I was just asking :)

> Sorry, I missed the beginning of this thread, but what type of device
> are you passing through?

A serial port.

Bye!

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information. In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox. Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.