[Xen-users] Re: Error: Migration not permitted with assigned PCI device

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Error: Migration not permitted with assigned PCI device
From: Federico Fanton <fake@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:47:15 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 00:48:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nick Couchman wrote:
How do you expect to do live migration of a machine that has a PCI
device assigned?  What if you migrate to another server that does not
have that PCI device, or has it, but at a different bus location?  This
could cause major problems in the machine after migration.  Xen doesn't
know (and doesn't care) what type of PCI device you're passing through,
so what if it's a storage controller?  If you're allowed to migrate a
machine with PCI devices assigned, and you migrate one that has a
storage controller assigned, the machine is going to crash.

Well, I understand that it is a complex task, but maybe there could be a list of "migrable PCI devices" that wouldn't give problems to Xen.. And of course it would work only with ad-hoc configured machines.. I wasn't getting into the details, I was just asking :)

Sorry, I missed the beginning of this thread, but what type of device
are you passing through?

A serial port.

Bye!