[Xen-users] Having trouble VPN-ing my guests on RHEL5

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Having trouble VPN-ing my guests on RHEL5
From: "Justin Ryan" <justizin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 20:58:01 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 20:58:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Howdy!

We had our provider install RHEL5 on our 8-core Xeon machine because it supported Xen, though it actually took us some time to get them to enable the optional, non-default "vt" channel per RH's requirement, as Xen is not considered stable enough to be available to the default install, even via yum.

In any case, I have two Windows guys running - XP and 2k3 Server - to which I hope to add Ubuntu and some other F/OSS systems, but I'm having trouble setting up the basics of NAT for the Virtual Machines.  I certainly want to forward some ports, treating the loopback as DMZ for the VMs, but for now I just want outgoing to work so that Windows can update, and DeBuntu can hit APT mirrors for install / update.

The Xen and Libvirt documentation are inconsistent with each other and with what I observe on RHEL5.2, I have two bridges instead of one as libvirt documentations suggests I should, and someone on #xen IRC said that this is a foible of current RHEL config.

I just want to get the simplest config working, any help would be appreciated.  A career F/OSS supporter, I'm always glad to pass on knowledge once I have it.

Peace, and TIA!

Robert Half - "When one teaches, two learn."