Re: [Xen-users] debian, black screen when booting xen hypervisor higher

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] debian, black screen when booting xen hypervisor higher than 3.0.3
From: Martin Kraus <lists_mk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 03:18:03 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:22:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 08:52:58PM -0400, Luke S Crawford wrote:
> Martin Kraus <lists_mk@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > the last thing that works it the grub menu. when I select the xen hypervisor
> > option, grub prints that it boots the selected menu, and the screen becomes
> > black with cursor blinking in the upper left corner. the machine freezes and
> > it takes a hard reset to get it to boot again.
>
> The only time I've seen this is when I screwed up the console config
> (like the Xen kernel thinks it should be using serial rather than vga or
> vis-a-vis)
>
> Of course, that might not be it.   The grub config is still the first place
> I'd look-  I'd make sure to remove any splash screens or 'quiet' options.

no, that's not it. if it was, the virtual would boot even without displaying
anything and i'd get there throught ssh. I've tried console over serial (this
works with 3.0.3 hypervisor) and console on vga, both get stuck right after
xen hypervisor starts.

I've tried the exactly same setup on a desktop hardware and it works just
fine.

there must be something wrong with the hardware. if it was only that one
server, i'd forget about it and move to another one, but so far it does this
on every hardware that has intel vt which i need. however, i've tried to
disable
that in the bios setup but it didn't help.

the weird thing is it gets stuck right after grub, without even producing any
messages and it freezes the hardware solid. even keyboard numlock stops
responding.

martin