Re: [Xen-users] Sharing space on a SAN?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Sharing space on a SAN?
From: Olivier Le Cam <Olivier.LeCam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:42:05 +0200
Cc: Peter Van Biesen <peter.vanbiesen@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 00:42:44 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Peter Van Biesen wrote on Sep 8, 2008:
We tested that too. It is overkill and degrades performance.

Simply attach the raw lun's to your domu ( /dev/disk/by-id ) and allow all you
dom0's to see them. live migration works perfectly then.

A little warning : every lun should only be allowed to be accessed by 1 domu or
dom0, unless the filesystem on it is able to handle multiple systems. Booting
your domu on two systems on the same lun will result in massive datacorruption.

We have been using this setup for over a year now and had no problems whatsoever - provided you check every domu has only been started once AND every lun is attached to only one domu ( typo's can happen ). We're using a simple script to check all that before we start a domu. There are also a lot of xen linux clustering projects around that can help you, just google them.
Kindest regards,

Peter.

Hi -

My SAN is able to provide up to 32 lun's, which is quite insufficient for the number of domUs I need: I've got 5 dom0s, which I intent to run +/- 10 domUs per dom0s on. Some of them are databases with a dedicated logical drive on the SAN for the datas in additition to the root filesystem, which means 2 lun's per domUs in that case.

What could you suggest in that situation?

Thanks in anticipation,
--
Olivier Le Cam
Education Headquaters, Versailles, France