Re: [Xen-users] bridge and tcpdump

To: xen <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] bridge and tcpdump
From: "Nemeth, Tamas" <nice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:59:29 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:00:12 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2008. 09. 17, szerda keltezéssel 17.40-kor rmarfisi@xxxxxxxxx ezt írta:
> i have a problem with bridge
>
> i can create a bridge, ant it work fine
> i have a
> bridge with 3 domU and they can ping any other
>
> but when i run 'tcpdump -n' in
> for example dom1 and do ping from dom2 to dom3
> tcpdump don't capture anithing
>

> why?

If you listen on dom1 and the ping dom3 from dom2 then you mustn't see
that traffic, because xen networking is not based on virtual hubs (which
simly relay every packet to every port), but it's based on virtual
switches, and switches intelligently forward the packets, only for the
recipient. In this case dom1 is neither the sender nor the recipient.
Try to listen on dom2 (e.g. with "tcpdump -n -i eth0") and then ping
dom2 from dom3. Now you should really see something.