Re: [Xen-users] network setup for HVM guests

Il giorno 22/ago/08, alle ore 17:52, Dustin Henning ha scritto:
Luca,
Sorry for the delayed response. It looks like you didn't include the group in your response, so no one else has seen your added information below.
*I* am sorry for the wrong reply. This time I got it right :D

-It seems likely that the issue with the tap interfaces not being moved could be script related, but I really don't know, so I was hoping someone else would have some input.
I'm currently looking into this. Iptables and other stuff will come only when I've got the basic networking in a sane state :)

So what I've got so far is:
- for every HVM guest I get two interfaces created, the usual vifX and the tapX. This is correct. - I can control the vifX name with "vif = [ '...., vifname=foobar' ]", but I don't know if/how to control the name of the tap interface. This would be nice but it's not required. - every time I boot/reboot an HVM guest the vif-bridge script will add the vifX interface to the bridge, but NOT the tapX. This *IS* the actual problem.

My environment:
- latest and updated gentoo linux amd64, on HVM enabled hardware, with Xen-3.2.1 compiled from gentoo portage. Everything runs in x86_64 mode. - kernel 2.6.21-xen from gentoo's xen-sources, tap driver statically linked in kernel, bridge driver as a module - in my hvm guest config, the only network-related stuff I have is: vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3e:09:01:14, bridge=bridge0, vifname=vif-foobar' ] - also: pae=0, acpi=1, apic=1, WinXP 32bit guest, no pv drivers (since they're not "production ready" I'm not looking into them)

I added two lines at the beginning of scripts/vif-bridge:
env > /tmp/vif-bridge
echo $* > /tmp/vif-args

so after a guest domain reboot I can see:
# cat /tmp/vif-args
online
# cat /tmp/vif-bridge
SUBSYSTEM=xen-backend
DRIVER=vif
XENBUS_TYPE=vif
DEVPATH=/devices/xen-backend/vif-9-0
script=/etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge
vif=vif9.0
ACTION=online
PWD=/
UDEV_LOG=3
XENBUS_PATH=backend/vif/9/0
UDEVD_EVENT=1
XENBUS_BASE_PATH=backend
SHLVL=1
PHYSDEVDRIVER=vif
PHYSDEVBUS=xen-backend
SEQNUM=2136
_=/usr/bin/env

after all this stuff... I am looking for someone using HVM guests that gets its tapX interfaces correctly added to the bridges, and I'd like to know what ACTUALLY does that adding and how. Which script, or whatever.

I'm trying to trace down my problem (could be something in my system, or in xen scripts, or in gentoo's install of xen, or whatever), but I don't know where to start because I just don't know where in the interface between xend and the scripts I should get an indication that there's a tapX involved with the guest.

By the way, I will probably look into upgrading to Xen-3.3.0 since I can do this sort of tests on the system during non-office hours :)

Thanks,
--
Luca Lesinigo