[Xen-users] 32bit domains on 64-bit Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] 32bit domains on 64-bit Xen
From: Joshua Pincus <joshua.pincus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 17:55:06 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:55:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm looking for information and guidance on how to deploy
a 64-bit Xen HV running either VT-{x|i} or AMD-V with 32-bit unprivileged guests.

1) Can I use the open-source Xen implementation to run 32-bit Win XP
in multiple domU(s)? I am guessing that I need hardware that supports either AMD-V or VT-{x|i} to do that. I don't want to run any kind of doctored Windows XP implementation. I just want to run the vanilla product.

2) Furthermore, can I run this kind of configuration on a 64-bit chip with up to 128GB of memory?

3) If I run with this kind of configuration, what's the preferred OS for dom0? 64-bit Debian? 32-bit Debian? Solaris? RedHat?

4) Is there a blog or a FAQ that addresses these kinds of neophyte questions?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and, most definitely, heeded.

Thanks in advance,
JP
--
Joshua Pincus