Re: [Xen-users] Does Xen 3.3 require new kernel?

To: Age_M <Age_M@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Does Xen 3.3 require new kernel?
From: Longina Przybyszewska <longina@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 09:38:58 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>, Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 00:37:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What ar the most important improvements in 3.3 ?

Longina

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Age_M wrote:

Andrew Lyon wrote:
I am running Xen 3.2.1 with Kernel 2.6.21 on Gentoo, the kernel is
derived from redhat, there are ebuilds in portage for Xen 3.3 but I
dont know if the kernel patch is updated for Xen 3.3 or not?

I upgraded Ubuntu 8.04 with Xen-3.2.1 to Ubuntu 8.10 (devel) with Xen-3.3.0.
I still use the same Kernel (2.6.24-19), so for me it works to upgrade the hypervisor and the userspace utils only.
Has the patched kernel  changed between 3.2.1 and 3.3? or are the
changes purely in the xen userspace applications?

I don't have any hard facts, but I am pretty sure, there has been some development in the kernel-patches too.
Anyway, for me it didn't break anything not to update the kernel.
I have read reports from other users who have upgraded Xen to 3.3,
they dont specifically mention upgrading or repatching/recompiling the
kernel...

Andy

Age_M

Longina Przybyszewska, system programmer
IT@Naturvidenskab

IMADA, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science

University of Southern Denmark, Odense
Campusvej 55,DK-5230 Odense M, Denmark

tel: +45 6550 2359 - http://www.imada.sdu.dk
email: longina@xxxxxxxxxxxx