Re: [Xen-users] Dell 2950 III for Xen virtualization

To: Nick Jones <nicholas-jones@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Dell 2950 III for Xen virtualization
From: "Fábio M. Catunda" <fcatunda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:52:39 -0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:53:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nick,

I have a 2950 running Xen very well. I don't have SAS disks, just 800GB SATA ones, but everything is running well until now.

I have only 4GB RAM memory, but thats ok for only 5 VMs.

My instalation is a tipical Debian setup, nothing special.

By now I have this running:
vm1debian                                 11      256     1 -b----   6555.8
vm2debian                                 12      128     1 -b----   5096.7
vm4debian                                 14      256     1 -b----   5973.8
vm5centos                                 15      512     1 -b----   5757.4
win02                                     16      512     1 -b----  30637.5

If you want to know something specific, just ask.

Regards,

Fábio Catunda.

Nick Jones escreveu:
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to see if anyone has experience running Xen on:

Dell 2950 III
2 x Quad 2.0 Ghz 1333Mhz FSB
32 GB DDR2 (8x4GB)
2 Disk Perc RAID 1 (7200 RPM SAS)
Broadcom Dual Gigabit Ethernet LOM & TOE

The requirements of each VM are not that high (and are all identical).
 I just want to run remote desktop and 1 other application at any
given time (either a web based IE application built on javascript, or
a local client app that is basically a questionnaire, nothing
processor intensive).

Just looking for some insight into how this would work or some kind of
benchmarks or rules of thumb to go by when determining what type of
hardware I need to run Xen on to achieve this.

Thanks a lot

Nick