Re: [Xen-users] Clock drift

To: Jefferson Ogata <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Clock drift
From: Eric Ross <eross@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:04:43 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:05:27 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Did you look into setting your clocksource to jiffies, that seemed to
help with my live migration issues.

I struggled with time drift for months, I was running the same
configuration you were (except I didn't have any HVMs).  Then I tried
the following:

Dom0:
 independent wallclock = 1
 ntpd
 clocksource = jiffies

DomU:
 independent wallclock = 0
 clocksource = jiffies

I've been monitoring my Dom0s and DomUs with Hyperic for a few months
(specifically looking at ntp drift) and these settings produce the
closest numbers to a "bare metal" machine in my environment.

Cheers,
Eric Ross
Linux Systems Administrator
Argonne National Laboratory