[Xen-users] cross hypervisor communication problem

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] cross hypervisor communication problem
From: Eric Ross <eross@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:55:04 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:55:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am experiencing strange networking problems between my hypervisors.

If I start a ping on hypervisor FOO to hypervisor BAR, the ping will
fail, saying that the destination host cannot be reached.  However, if I
start a ping on FOO to BAR, and, at the same time, start a ping from BAR
to FOO both commands will succeed.

This is affecting my ability to live migrate my VMs, as one hypervisor
will not see the other one unless they both ping one another as
described above.

Has anyone else had this type of problem?

BTW, I can ping any other box on my network from either box, and the
ping will succeed.  This only happens when I try to ping between
hypervisors.  And, ping isn't the only thing that fails.  I can SSH into
my hypervisors just fine, but when I try to SSH from one to the other,
the same thing happens.  One cannot find the other --until I ping them
from one another.

Thank you,

Eric Ross
Linux Systems Administrator