Re: [Xen-users] can I clone a runiung domU?

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] can I clone a runiung domU?
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 14:38:18 +0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 00:39:01 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

Using LVM you should be able to make a snapshot of the filesystem which
should be at least as consistent (integrity wise) as if you'd done an
'xm destroy' on the domain.

A neat way to do that is if you use zfs-backed storage, either directly (using Sun's xVM) or having solaris export the volume over iscsi to linux box. The "clone" process for zfs is two simple commands : "zfs snanpshot" and "zfs clone", which is almost instaneous.

Sure, but I don't. I'm using CentOS as OS, with ext3 :) So, I need to work with what I have

In that case James' suggestion is probably your best bet. If you use
lvm-backed storage for domU :
- lvm snapshot on running domU's LVM, to get a consistent state.
- dd from the snapshot to a new LV
- destroy snapshot

As for optimum block size for dd, I think the default PE size for linux
LVM is 4MB, so you might want to try that.

Regards,

Fajar