Re: [Xen-users] RHEL 5.2 i386 image - Xen kernel doesn't recognize the t

To: Tom Georgoulias <tomg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RHEL 5.2 i386 image - Xen kernel doesn't recognize the total amount of system memory
From: Ido Levy <IDOL@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:02:01 +0300
Cc: Alexandra Kisin <KISIN@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 04:04:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tom,

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if RHEL 4.5/6 32 bit image Xen kernel supports more than 16GB
of RAM ?

Ido Levy

             Tom Georgoulias
             <tomg@mcclatchyin
             teractive.com>                                             To
                                       Ido Levy/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
             28/07/2008 23:45                                           cc
                                       xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
                                       Alexandra Kisin/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Xen-users] RHEL 5.2 i386 image
                                       - Xen kernel doesn't recognize the
                                       total amount of system memory

Ido Levy wrote:

> We have installed RHEL 5.2 Server ( i386 image ) on a machine with 64GB
of
> RAM.
>
> When booting the default PAE kernel ( 2.6.18-92.el5PAE ) that is shipped
> with RHEL 5.2 installation the OS detects 64GB of RAM.
> But when booting the Xen kernel ( 2.6.18-92.el5xen ) the OS detects only
> 14GB of the total amount of available RAM.
>
> Did anyone encounter this problem before ?

I did when I first installed RHEL5.1 on a server with 32GB of RAM.

> Is it a normal behavior for a 32 bit image ?

Yes, 32-bit supports up to 16GB.  To use the rest of the RAM, you'd need
to install the 64-bit kernel-xen.  Some docs are here:

https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/en-US/RHEL510/Virtualization_Guide/ch-virt-hw-support.html

Hope that helps.

Tom