[Xen-users] Convert Trixbox HVM to PVM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Convert Trixbox HVM to PVM
From: "Daniel Asplund" <danielsaori@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:25:42 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:26:18 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding :content-disposition; bh=Rl4erf+BPJevBx1T6EHQtEyIZvW30q2rPZOupElAU+M=; b=kcAkgdqWG29kbJCxzOg0IZ2zU4lfHUpB94yKnPCYkM6GRnqy4d3aIrWsqncSLJeOU1 AbPA7feaQXirpQ7W7n23vy9p9gvdRrFHMQqIgSHcPEmUYP0XdsAhfMRVpaNgx9kTImss YjZyV32UIKSNCPwD5DOaaz/vIF+uBeQdBeM4Y=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi list,

I recently installed the Trixbox distribution as an HVM and have now
converted it to a PVM. Found very few resources on Internet where
people had done this conversion so I had very little to compare with.

Wanted to ask for comments about the kernel used in the PVM after the
conversion.
Installing Trixbox and later installing the xenified kernel, gives a
kernel of 2.6.18-92.....
In my Ubuntu Hardy Dom0 I run kernel 2.6.24-19..... and that kernel I
also use in all my other DomU installations.

I can boot the Trixbox PVM on both kernels but I experience different
problems with each of them.
When using the Ubuntu supplied kernel, 2.6.24-19, I get at least one
error about a module not being able to load. Reason is that this
module is not available for the 2.6.4-19 kernel. I have copied the
standard modules for this kernel into the Trixbox DomU, but the
failing module is only compiled for the trixbox installation. The
failing module is "ib_sdp". The machine actually boots fine and I
don't know yet if the module is critical.

When using the Trixbox kernel, 2.6.18-92, I have no errors during
boot, but instead I have an issue when shutting down the domain. If I
execute an "xm shutdown" the shutdown fails because the domain's block
devices are not being able to shutdown. Instead of shutting down the
domain it just hangs and I need to destroy it. Running this kernel is
not an option at the moment as I cannot migrate or even shutdown the
domain without it hanging.

Please let me know if you have some good comments regarding this or if
you want me to supply more info? Which kernel is the suggested one
when converting from an HVM, what is easier from a maintenance point
of view?

Cheers, Daniel