[Xen-users] concepts of Xen networking

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] concepts of Xen networking
From: Siddharth Deshpande <siddharth.d@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 02:07:57 +0530
Delivery-date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:38:15 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

Newbie question. I've been through a few books and online documents
about Xen, but I still have a few doubts about how bridged networking is
achieved in xen. I also found a thread in the archives
(http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-useraes/2006-02/msg00030.html)
which was helpful but not completely.

I'm running Xen 3.0 on CentOS 5. All the docs talk about xen bridge and
vif's but maybe the difference in my setup is that i'm running all fully
virtualized domains. Maybe that's why i see network interfaces like tapX
when i run ifconfig on the host?

I currently have 21 domains running on the host. And i see interfaces
tap0 - tap21. And i see vif's starting from vif0.1 with arbitrary
numbers like vif{104,138,158,163...}. Can anybody explain the
significance of these?

Also, most of the docs i have come across say that the physical
interface (eth0) of the host is renamed to peth0 . But if that is the
case, then shouldn't peth0 reflect the host IP? Instead, i see that the
interface listed as eth0 shows the host IP, while peth0 shows no IP and
a MAC of FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. Can somebody please explain or point me to
some documentation that explains networking fully virtualized domains?
Sorry if the questions seem stupid! Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

TIA,
Siddharth.