RE: [Xen-users] The death of XEN by Novell

To: 'Pasi Kärkkäinen' <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] The death of XEN by Novell
From: "Venefax" <venefax@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 09:51:52 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 06:52:52 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:from:to:cc:references :in-reply-to:subject:date:message-id:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:x-mailer:thread-index:content-language; bh=TsWzmNfUIRM0m7wlC0+CPhJeka5lFKXoZ/IVHbomFJs=; b=MdHUnqucCnm+KNhgKs+mepr5JvQAXs5LQ/Kd/o9HpVOUEje3a6IauOnfhLgN4voYEi hLfG8688pODCBnpl8jVm3E0oNjlb6X1dv6QCY4bEGEnGmkhcEqub/Cerr3vovvn1Oc6a Ckl5Pvt1uKbY68FD/LmWzfj6h4GRKBQaTD/98=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The Novell engineer showed me a technical document, which I did not write
the number, on the Novell web site, where it said: windows SMP using the
Novell driver crashes. On Monday I will talk to her and get the number.
Also all the responses to my post in the list confirm that. The point is:
unless SMP works, the whole technology is useless, because what use would it
have a single VCPU machine? That´s why I am jumping over to Hyper-V. The
problem is that I don't know how good the emulation of Linux is under
Hyper-V. Does the network work fast? I use a SIP Server on the Linux side,
talking hundreds of times per second to SQL Server, so I need SMP 8 ways on
both  ends. But my Linux softswiches also move megabytes of data in and out
of the network, media, voice. It requires low latency. Maybe I need to
forget about virtualizing Windows ands Linux together.