RE: [Xen-users] RE: Problem with GPLPV drivers 0.9.11.pre8

To: "Andy Burns" <lists.xensource.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] RE: Problem with GPLPV drivers 0.9.11.pre8
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 20:48:07 +1000
Delivery-date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 03:48:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> This is on the same physical dom0, but now with Centos 5.2 + xen 3.2.0
> instead of Fedora8 + 3.1.3, the domU has been re-created (for a change
> of LVM mount point) does anyone know if a different domU UUID or NIC's
> MAC address passes sufficiently different info into the domU that
> triggers windows into doing this?
>
> If this reactivation changes everytime I upgrade Xen, or the PV
drivers,
> or use an LVM snapshot or whatever is causing it, I'm worried
Microsoft
> will eventually disallow further re-activations ...

I haven't seen that happen yet, at least on Server products, and even if
it does I think you just have to pick up the phone instead.

Btw, I believe that if you slipstream SP3 onto your XP install disk, you
don't need a product key until the product requires activation, 30 days
later (or is it 60?). I haven't tried this, but it would sure make
testing heaps easier, especially if you are testing things that
routinely corrupt disks. LVM Snapshots relieve some of that but if you
are testing for performance they just get in the way.

I certainly don't bother activating any of the products I've been
testing with (from the MSDN library) - if they last 60 days without
being killed in some way then I don't mind reinstalling anyway :)

James