[Xen-users] Unable to remove GPLPV drivers without breaking win2k3 domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Unable to remove GPLPV drivers without breaking win2k3 domU
From: Andy Burns <lists.xensource.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:16:35 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 07:17:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a Win2K3 domU (and thankfully an image backup of the LVM volume that holds its system disk) I previously installed GPLPV v0.8.9 drivers, the domU boots OK with or without the /GPLPV switch in boot.ini, however with the /GPLPV switch it tries and fails to use the Xen network driver, and so the machine is network-less, so for the past few months I've left it using pure HVM instead of PV drivers.

Now I'd like to try the 0.9.11-pre4 drivers

attempt 1 - installed new drivers over the top of the old ones, got bluescreen at next boot.

attempt 2 - restored disk and used the un-install.bat from the old version, still bluescreen at next boot.

attempt 3 - manually uninstalled all xen devices from within device manager, deleted all relevant .inf/.pnf/.sys files, it still bluescreens, I think it's a STOP 0x0000007B

Any more suggestions on how to remove the old drivers and keep it bootable, ready to try the newer version?