[Xen-users] Xen with Multiple NIC as a logical router

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen with Multiple NIC as a logical router
From: Dimitrios Kalogeras <D.Kalogeras@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:39:02 +0300
Cc: xen-research@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 04:39:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi *,

My sincere apologies for cross posting in the mailing lists.

I am evaluating the case of using XEN as a logical router.

http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/M.Handley/papers/xen-vrouters.pdf

In the conclusions section it is mentioned

"  CPU saturation is a main feature of PC-based virtual routers, and
that to avoid context switching overheads, the virtualization platform
(e.g. Xen) so all forwarding is handled in the privileged domain. In
other words, domUs should only host the control (slow) path of its
associated virtual router, while the corresponding forwarding
should be “migrated” to dom0. "

I am considering the case to provide every DOMU a
separate physical port. I know that this solution does not scale but do
you believe that such a choice would limit the CPU overhead caused by
the copying functionality between the DOMU and DOM0 ?

Kind regards,
Dimitris

Dimitrios K. Kalogeras

Electrical Engineer, Ph.D.
Network Engineer
NTUA/GR-Net Network Management Center
icq:   11887484
voice: +30-210-772 1863
fax:     +30-210-772 1866
e-mail: D.Kalogeras@xxxxxxxxxxx
pub   1024D/0E421B50 2007-01-17 [expires: 2008-01-17] Dimitrios
Kalogeras (dkalo) <D.Kalogeras@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      Key fingerprint = F8C8 7B67 74A4 1F82 CDDF 8554 E1EF 7FAE 0E42 1B50
PGP-KEY: http://ajax.noc.ntua.gr/~dkalo/dkalo_pgp.txt