Re: [Xen-users] Solaris N90 on RedHat RHEL5

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Solaris N90 on RedHat RHEL5
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:55:08 +0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 00:55:46 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
fan he wrote:
> Hi
> There is a problem when creating a domU. I intend to install Solaris
> N90 on RedHat RHEL5 in paravirtualized(I've tried fully virtualized
> method, that's no problem).

Short summary : not easy :)

> 5 run virtual machine manager select paravirtualized and set the
> install media URL like "nfs:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/disk/Solaris"
> And a result show that: Unable to complete install 'Could not find an
> installable distribution the install location'

I don't think virt-manager (on RHEL5 anyway) is able to install SNV domU PV.
I don't think RHEL5's version of Xen can run SNV PV well either (last
time I check I had zombie domains everytime SNV domU restarts).

In my case I finally installed Xen 3.2 (rebuilt xen.org's SRPM for
x86_64), and follow instructions here
http://bderzhavets.blogspot.com/2008/04/install-snv85-domu-at-xen-3.html
this is for older version of SNV, but might still work for SNV90.

IMHO, instead of SNV, it's better to try opensolaris 2008.05 instead
http://bderzhavets.blogspot.com/2008/05/install-opensolaris-200805-domu-at-xen.html
You'll get zfs root by default, plus the new image packaging system
which gives apt-like abilities.

Regards,

Fajar