[Xen-users] Can't install MS SQL server components

To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Can't install MS SQL server components
From: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:04:54 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:05:25 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have three xen servers running on SLES 10SP1. Everything is running
great. I have have both para-virtualized linux and quite a few fully
virtualized windows systems.

I have a domU image that I use for win2k3 using a sparse img file. I
have a number of servers running that started out using the same win2k3
image. I've not had any problems on any of the servers.

I'm trying to install the eval for Microsoft SQL Server 2005. The SQL
server parts install ok, but the workstation components constantly fails
giving an error like:
error attempting to read from the source install database
or
can't read an msi file

I don't see any reason for the problems.

So I threw together a quick VMWare win2k3 machine and tried the same
install and it works fine.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

I want to put a new win2k3 image together, but I'm remote from my xen
server. I've tried adding the win2k3 iso file as a cdrom and boot a new
install, but when I do that the domU refuses to boot.

I know I have not provided a great deal of info but any ideas?

Thanks,
James