[Xen-users] HVM guest support unavailable

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] HVM guest support unavailable
From: "Tom Buhl" <malists@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:08:10 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 05:08:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

when I try to start a hvm the well known error message "Error: HVM guest
support is unavailable: is VT/AMD-V supported by your CPU and enabled in your
BIOS?" appears. I am using an Intel E8400 on Asus P5E VM DO Board.
/proc/cpuinfo info shows that the CPU has vmx support. I have enabled
"Vanderpool Technology" in BIOS.

According to the xen user manual the package dev86 is needed. I am using Ubuntu
7.10. There is no dev86 package, but bin86 and bcc should work according to
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-02/msg00207.html

xm info shows xen_caps: xen-3.0-x86_32p. I am missing the hvm entry. Do you
have any idea why? Am I missing some kind of configuration? I couldn't find a
solution in the archives.

Greetings
Tom