Re: [Xen-users] how xen recognizes fibre channel based storage resources

To: Piotr Szałamacha <piotr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how xen recognizes fibre channel based storage resources
From: Javier Guerra Giraldez <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 15:02:02 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 13:01:33 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Saturday 07 June 2008, Piotr Szałamacha wrote:
> Hello
>
> > you can share the same block device to several DomUs, just add 'w!' to
> > the options to say: "yes, write access to more than one".  if you use
> > only 'w', Xen would complain at the second DomU that tries to use it,
> > which is a reasonable safeguard when you don't use cluster-aware
> > filesystems.
>
> Thanks for your answer but if I understand well you assume in your
> answer that domu's sharing block device are located on the same physical
> server while they are not.

sure, you mentioned FC, that usually means several boxes.

but that's no problem, just do it.  the DomU's would see the block devices,
they won't need FC drivers; but OCFS doesn't need them, just that the same
block device is seen by all machines (virtual or real) at the same time.

of course the heartbeat and lock propagation can go via the same block device,
or (more common) via the network, but that's part of setting OCFS, not Xen
problem.

in short: Xen won't get in your way, just publish the same block device to
several DomU's (on several boxes) and go!

--
Javier