Re: [Xen-users] eth0:0 alias in dom0

To: Morten Christensen <mc-xen@xxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] eth0:0 alias in dom0
From: Tim Post <echo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 01:50:18 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 10:50:59 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 15:37 +0200, Morten Christensen wrote:
> I am trying xen 3.2 on Ubuntu 8.04 server kernel 2.6.24-18.
>
> Without Xen I can get an alias for eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces with
>   auto eth0:1
>   iface eth0:1 intet static
>     address 10.10.10.194
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     network 10.10.10.0
>     broadcast 10.10.10.255
>

> I cannot find a way to do this when I boot into the xen-kernel
> 2.6.24-18-xen.

Are you using network-bridge in your xend-config? If so, that is why.
network-bridge will enslave the interface, therefore eth0:x will not
work.

If you need to do this, you will have to let Ubuntu, not network-bridge
handle your bridging on startup.

Below is a copy of my /etc/network/interfaces (note, I'm on a LAN):

auto br0
        iface br0 inet static
        address 10.92.1.101
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 10.92.1.1
        bridge_maxwait 0
        bridge_helo 0
        bridge_fd 0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_ports eth0

auto br0:1
        iface br0:1 inet static
        address 10.92.1.191
        netmask 255.255.255.0

You will also need to stop network-bridge from running. To do that,
create a simple file like this in /etc/xen/scripts (for instance,
network-dummy) and make it executable:

#!/bin/sh
exit 0

Then edit /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp and replace this line:

(network-script network-bridge)

so that it says:

(network-script network-dummy)

stop/start networking and xend (or just reboot) and you should be good
to go.

Hope this helps

Regards,
--Tim