[Xen-users] VLAN help

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] VLAN help
From: "James Alspach" <jalspach@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:55:46 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 11:56:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We are in the process of setting up a few Xensource servers whose initial function will be to run Exchange 2007.  As part of this (and for future VM’s) I need to be able to provide access to various VLANS to the various DOM’s.

In theory this sounds fairly straight forward: DOM0 gets a PIF for each VLAN.  This PIF connects to a VLAN specific bridge and then, for each DOM that needs one, a VIF is created and connected to the bridge.

Does this sound correct?

If so, my question is how to specify the VLAN for a PIF.  I can list it but I am not able to set it since it is read only.

How do virtual networks fit into the above and how is a virtual network different from a virtual bridge?

Any help or pointers to information are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help;

James

James Alspach
Systems Analyst II