Re: [Xen-users] xm shutdown of HVM DomU kills it instantly

On June 2, 2008 01:58 am Alain Barthe wrote:
> I know nothing about Xen HVM, but I practiced VMWare.
> It is the same behaviour with VMWare VMs (a shutdown kills the VM
> immediatly) unless you install the "WMWare tools" on the guest. I think
> it should be the same in xen : a HVM host cannot communicate with its
> dom0 (so it cannot be shut down cleanly) as it is not aware it is
> virtual, unless you install on it something special to let it know it
> is virtual.

xend doesn't send the ACPI Shutdown (which would simulate a "power button
push" event in the ACPI-aware OS) command to the QEmu monitor for the
HVM?  Not sure what the exact qemu command is (can never seem to get
the 'help' command in the qemu monitor to show just one page of help
topics).

Using KVM (which uses the same or similar qemu support) you can issue a
shutdown command in the qemu monitor, or via the host, and it will show
as an acpi shutdown request in the guest OS, and it will (if ACPI support
works in the guest) do a graceful shutdown.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx