RE: [Xen-users] Release 0.9.5 of GPL PV Drivers for Windows

To: "jim burns" <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Release 0.9.5 of GPL PV Drivers for Windows
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 13:16:50 +1000
Delivery-date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 20:17:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I then tried installing 0.9.4. (Previous version installed was 0.9.2.)
> Install
> was uneventful, and last screen said XenPCI Install failed, and all
others
> said 'Ready to use', The xen*.sys files in c:\windows\system32\drivers
are
> still from 0.9.2, and no appropriate devices in Device Manager. I then
ran
> Add Hardware Wizard, and told it to search automatically for new
hardware
> and got nothing.

Can you please try the following:

. Remove all traces of xenpci from your system (delete
c:\windows\inf\oem*, delete c:\windows\system32\drivers\xen*.sys, and
maybe remove the services registry keys for luck too)
. Download 'debug view' from www.sysinternals.com, and run it. Make sure
that 'capture kernel' is enabled.
. Try installing the xenpci driver using 'update driver' from device
manager. The drivers will be in 'C:\Program Files\Xen PV
Drivers\drivers' if you ran the 0.9.5 installer.

I don't expect the above to work, given that you appear to have tried
everything I've suggested anyway, but when you install the driver,
'debug view' should capture some useful info and might tell me why it is
failing, so send the output to me and I'll have a look.

What is your impression, is this a problem with xenpci failing for some
reason, or a problem with your system due to previous installations of
the gpl pv drivers?

Thanks

James