Re: [Xen-users] PV drivers on HVM opensuse 10.3

To: Daniel Schwager <Daniel.Schwager@xxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] PV drivers on HVM opensuse 10.3
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 05:20:59 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 30 May 2008 02:21:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thursday May 29 2008 11:55:24 pm Daniel Schwager wrote:
> > > You can certainly connect to PV & HVM domains alike with vnc.
>
> How to configure? I thought a PV domain has no BIOS and therefore i can
> connect only with the "xm console" command ?

Old style, still works in my hvm configs on Fedora 8:

sdl=0
vnc=1
vnclisten="0.0.0.0"
#vnclisten="192.168.1.0/24"
# set VNC display number, default = domid
vncdisplay=3
# try to find an unused port for the VNC server, default = 1
vncunused=0
vncconsole=1
monitor=1
vncpasswd=""

New style (xen 3.1.2 and up) which I use in pv domains:

#vfb=[ 'type=vnc, keymap=en-us, vnclisten=0.0.0.0, vncunused=1' ]
vfb=[ 'type=vnc, keymap=en-us, vnclisten=0.0.0.0, vncunused=0, vncdisplay=4' ]
vncconsole=1

Note, on Fedora, I can never get the vnc window to come up automatically on
issuing 'xm create', despite the vncconsole statement (which doesn't work
inside the vfb= clause). This shouldn't be a problem for your admin colsole
function, which would do the equivalent of a manual vnc connect. Also note,
on recent xens, the vncdisplay=n statement selects port # 5900+n to connect
with, despite the comments in the xmexample* files, that say it should be the
domid.

Emre - thanx for the correction on the usage of the unmodified drivers.