Re: [Xen-users] About the time of live migration, it is too long

To: Yin Xu <ronee.9@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] About the time of live migration, it is too long
From: bbmailing@xxxxxx
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 17:08:26 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 May 2008 08:11:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Yin,

What kind of application is running when you do your live-migration? Very
CPU-intensive stuff?
Xen makes use of an iterative pre-copy mechanism by looking at the "dirtied
pages" in the RAM and retransferring these pages. Then it suspends the VM on
the one machine, transfers the "hot pages" that change very frequently and then
restarts the VM on the destination machine. But since your RAM is not that big
and since you use a GigE connection, there should be no problem. I would assume
this is related to the switch somehow. If you want to eliminate this and just
watch it for research, simply use a cross-over cable (if the machines are close
enough to each other ;)). In my test I had no ping-loss...
You could also have a look at both machines with the command "watch -n 0.1 xm
list" to see when the machine is ready.

Hope that helps!

Best regards,
Bjoern