RE [Xen-users] Re: Live migration not permanent?

To: "Aleksandar Ivanisevic <aleksandar" <aleksandar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE [Xen-users] Re: Live migration not permanent?
From: Alain BARTHE <alain.barthe@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 12:00:56 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 May 2008 03:01:47 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx a écrit sur 20/05/2008 11:06:59 :

> John Haxby <john.haxby@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> >> So, how does one move a domU from one physical server to another
> >> physical server if there's no shared storage in between?
> >>

> > Shut down or save the domU; copy the config and vbd files to the other
> > server; start or restore the domU.
> >
> > Takes a while if the disks are large :-(
>
> I'm under the impression that one has also to copy over corresponding
> files from /var/lib/xen/boot_kernel* and boot_ramdisk*, otherwise domU
> won't reboot on the new dom0, but I still have to test this more
> systematically.

Perhaps you're right if you issue the "reboot" command from the domU or dom0 (I don't test it). But if you do a "shutdown", then a "create", you don't need boot files to follow the domU from one dom0 to the other. They are generated locally when the domU is xm created.