Re: [Xen-users] Loading FreeBSD in an HVM-domain on Intel-basedhost with

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Loading FreeBSD in an HVM-domain on Intel-basedhost with GRUB
From: Freddie Cash <fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 14:36:07 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 May 2008 14:36:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On May 14, 2008 11:07 am Patro, Sumant wrote:
>       I am trying to install FreeBSD 7.0 (8.0-current) as a guest OS
> with RHEL 5.1/5.2. I compiled xen 3.2 with vmxassist=n as suggested in
> bug 622. After I installed and booted this xen kernel I have difficulty
> in starting the VMManager to create guest OS.
>
>       Could anyone please provide details on which Linux OS & the
> tools I may use to install FreeBSD as guest.

Search the freebsd -stable and -current mailing list archives for
March/April.  I posted the configs I used to install FreeBSD 6.3 and 7.0
(32-bit and 64-bit) into Xen HVMs.  I used Debian Lenny with the 2.6.24
kernel and modules from Ubuntu.  And I also tried Ubuntu 8.04 beta.

Eventually, I gave up on Xen on Debian/Ubuntu (too many issues on hardware
that required a newer dom0 kernel than 2.6.18) and moved to KVM as it was
a lot simpler to install, a lot simpler to configure, and things just
worked with it (like bonding eth3 through eth6 into a single interface,
and using that as the bridge interface, without any IPs associated to
them, with eth0 as a management NIC with an IP -- something I could never
get to work under Xen, and that no one here could provide any insight
into).

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx