[Xen-users] Find domID from domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Find domID from domU
From: Pepe Barbe <elventear@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 15:38:53 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 May 2008 13:39:41 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:from:to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:mime-version:subject:date:x-mailer; bh=1KyhjmHPAloY0sntblk3jbb+Pf8CMH4hWYxVOKeQFi4=; b=kodCxqoNlvSMPnB/26Z/xB/opj2U4S1/sSGXtB66Qsw3O87/ESJkMuFRDlDVDR1xYqXhmh+1p4g4iHHwpfstfBq7YQDsuYTHzWTRVsrEQCqWz6sl2nLFjoAvQ74FoMj46/oFR43Ll85twAyVy1PK6RfnMr3ivXQWoE+FKxzc6wk=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I am trying to write a script to add to the proper bridge any vif that is brought up trying to use a domU as a backend.

After much researching, I don't know if I have found the proper solution but, at least, a viable one.

I see that I can read the bridge name in xenstore from the following key:

/local/domain/<domid>/backend/vif/<vif num>/bridge

But I have found two obstacles to this solution.

First, by default a domU cannot list /local/domain, so the only way to find my domID would be to guess, up to the maximum number of domain IDs that Xen can have, which is a horrid solution. I can change the permissions so that key can be listed, and then I can try to read the different domain IDs until one succeeds, which would be a better way of guessing my own domID.

So my question is. Is there a deterministic way of reading the proper key /local/domain/<domid>/backend/vif/<vif num>/bridge from the domU, or a way to determine my domID in a deterministic fashion or change the the default permissions, so that if I ever reboot my dom0 I can bring everything back automatically.

Thanks,
Pepe