Re: [Xen-users] Disable memory balloon in dom0

To: Siim Vahtre <siim_@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Disable memory balloon in dom0
From: Nick Anderson <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 16:21:41 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 May 2008 14:22:13 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Siim Vahtre wrote:

You definitely do not want to set it to 0. If you create a new domU you might run out of memory on dom0 and bad things will happen. Setting dom0-min-mem to about 128M (depends how much things you run on dom0) is good safety net.

# Dom0 will balloon out when needed to free memory for domU.
# dom0-min-mem is the lowest memory level (in MB) dom0 will get down to.
# If dom0-min-mem=0, dom0 will never balloon out.
(dom0-min-mem 196)

Perhaps I am just mis-understanding. I take this to mean that domU can steal memory from dom0 up until dom0 gets to the min-mem threshold. And according to the config comments setting to 0 makes dom0 not balloon. So I read that as domU can not ever steal memory from dom0.

--
Nick Anderson <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.cmdln.org