Re: [Xen-users] Fwd: Dinamically allocated memory in a virtual machine

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 1. Mai 2008 02:57 schrieb Mark Williamson:
[..]
> Note that ordinarily XenLinux does not support being grown beyond its
> initial a location of RAM.  If you want to be able to do this, you need to
> add something like mem=4G (for a maximum of 4G) to the domain's kernel
> command line in order to tell it how big it might get.  This is so the
> guest Linux can size its tables to fit the amount of memory.

i've tested this with Xen 3.0.3 (Debian 4.0) and it doesn't work as expected.
I've configured a domU with 256MB RAM and set "mem=4G" as kernel option. The
domU kernel says something about a lot of high mem available. The started
domU sees 256MB RAM. All OK. If i mem-set to more than 256MB RAM the domU
(free or top) doesn't recognize it. xm list shows the additional RAM, but
this is also true if i don't start with mem=4G.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have a too old xen version?

What are the proposed ways to manage RAM with which version of xen?

For now, i've to set memory in domU config to a high value and ballon down the
memory shortly after startup so that i'm able to give more RAM when i need it
without a reboot.

--
greetings

eMHa