Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.8.9 of GPL PV drivers for Windows

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.8.9 of GPL PV drivers for Windows
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 05:36:48 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 May 2008 02:41:11 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday May 06 2008 03:21:29 am Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > - dom0 vs. domu: obviously, the standard to match is dom0 performance. (I
> > suspect, tho', that non-xen kernel performance would be even better.)
> > Looking at the 4k pattern numbers above, hvm severely lags dom0.
> > Interestingly enough, for the 32k pattern, hvm is doing better than dom0.
>
> domU doing better than dom0 usually happens when you use file backed disks
> on dom0.. then the memory cache of dom0 will affect the domU results.

Interesting that that didn't happen with the 4k pattern numbers, tho'.

> I think you should re-test with vcpu=1.
>
> Configure dom0 for 1 vcpu and domU for 1 vcpu and pin the domains to have a
> dedicated core. This way you're not sharing any pcpu's between the domains.
> I think this is the "recommended" setup from xen developers for getting
> maximum performance.
>
> I think the performance will be worse when you have more vcpus in use than
> your actual pcpu count..

Will try that later, after I've tested out a new (non-xen) kernel update.
Having more vcpus than pcpus would be very easy tho', if you have many
domains. I can try this with just the hvm domain running.