Re: [Xen-users] Partition vs disk images

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote on Fri, 02 May 2008 09:10:03 +0100:

> Don't forget to change the network configurations, as well, and set a
> new MAC address in your Xen configuration files. Or the new image will
> much with the network connections of your old image.

That's the normal measure you have to take with any duplication, I was merely
outlining the conversion process ;-)

> Unfortunately, RHEL's installation tools and CD image do not deal well
> with running 'grub-install' from their CD rescue images. You have to do
> something clever like duplicate the /boot partition and grub boot loader
> with tools like 'dd', and keep /boot as your tiny first partition, if
> you intend to use the pygrub tool normally used with RHEL for booting
> Xen images. Otherwise you have to keep a copy of the guest kernel on
> your server: this is a *NASTY* problem if you use the Xensource kernels,
> which traditionally had the same kernel name for RHEL 4 and RHEL 5 kernels.

Not sure what you mean by that. If you look at the original tutorial I
followed you see that it does *not* use a /boot directory on the DomU. That
would imply that the DomU actually starts with a kernel on Dom0. I tested
this on my test case by renaming the /boot directory in the DomU. Then the
boot failed. So, it's surely using that kernel and boot directory and not any
from Dom0. I did not have to use grub-install at all - for what should I use
it?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany