Re: [Xen-users] Shutting down domU causes "hda: interrupt lost" on dom0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Shutting down domU causes "hda: interrupt lost" on dom0 and freezes the box.
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:27:15 +0100
Cc: "Jamie J. Begin" <begin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 May 2008 09:29:07 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks Jamie,

I think your debugging has identified the cause of the problem with a decent
degree of certainty.  Sounds like it's more or less what I had originally
suspected:

The guest OS has to be able to mask interrupt lines in order to operate the
PCI device it's been given.  If that interrupt line is shared with dom0
devices then the domU can mask a line that dom0 needs to get interrupts on.
That's fine if the guest is well behaved but in your situation the guest was
leaving the line masked when it was suspended - at least that's roughly what
it sounds like, although I couldn't describe the exact chain of events.

Your pulling BIOS switches around sounds like it's distributed the IRQs across
multiple lines, which means that the guest screwing up doesn't break dom0.
This is also beneficial for performance in any case (imagine having to upcall
into two entire operating systems just to find out which driver is interested
in an interrupt!) so it's a good switch to make in any case, if it works.

> 1. Issuing a "poweroff" from within a SSH session on the domU works fine.

This would be since the guest was able to shutdown cleanly and not leave the
hardware in a funny state.

> 3. Executing "xm destroy <domU>" causes 'irq 16: nobody cared (try booting
> with the "irqpoll" option' to be written to the console, followed by a dom0
> kernel panic. Yay!

A fully panic?  Eww!  Anyhow, sounds like the domU hadn't been able to shut
down the hardware right, so there were unexpected IRQs coming through.  I'm
not sure why you'd get a panic though, that sounds nastier.

> 2. Executing "xm save <domU> filename" causes the same HDD errors I
> previously mentioned.

Right.  Your init scripts were probably doing an xm save on reboot, I guess.

Did the xm save actually appear to proceed?  Did it even succeed?  It's a bit
scary if it does since I'm not at all sure it's a supported configuration (it
wasn't last time I heard; I had thought we'd disabled this).  Can you remind
me what version of Xen you're running and where you got it from?

IMPORTANT NOTE: xm save-ing and xm restore-ing guests with passed-through PCI
devices doesn't sound like it should make much sense.  I wouldn't be at all
surprised if it was actually unsafe and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if
it didn't actually work properly.  You should look into disabling this before
production use; make sure they get shut down conventionally and then booted
from scratch when dom0 next comes up.  It will save you headaches!

> Mainly out of frustration, I then just decided to reboot the physical
> server.  For some reason, that fixed that problem. It now works.  No
> conflicts with the storage controller, no problems shutting down domU, and
> the card still works fine in Asterisk.  Problem solved.

Ho hum, not sure why that helped but if it works reliably we'll just smile,
nod and move on!

> The very first computer problem I ever solved was changing the IRQ
> selection jumpers on an internal modem because it was conflicting with the
> IO card in my 286.  I can't believe the same problem is still stumping me
> almost 20 years later.

At least we're not having to recompile Xen and put it on a special floppy
because we don't have enough base memory free.  Some things have moved on ...
slightly.

Anyhow, I bet when you had to change the jumpers around the problem was only
able to take down one OS.  With modern technology, you can blow away several
at once :-D

Cheers,
Mark