RE: [Xen-users] Advantages of HVM vs. paravirtualization in aLinux-only

To: "Jamie J. Begin" <begin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Advantages of HVM vs. paravirtualization in aLinux-only enviroment?
From: "Ross S. W. Walker" <rwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:52:42 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:53:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jamie J. Begin wrote:

> Newbie here... My hardware supports HVM (full virtualization),
> but I only need to run Linux on it.  I initially tried to
> create a HVM domU, but couldn't get pciback to work with a
> telephony card I need for use with Asterisk.  However
> everything seems to be working fine under a paravirtualized
> guest as long as I use permissive mode on the card. (Knock on
> wood-I've had some weird instability issues prior enabling
> permissive mode).

You can always look into the logs at the io port violations
and add them to the pci-quirks for that card until you've
covered them all. It's a little trial-and-error until you
get them all covered, but it's more secure then just
setting pci permissive globally.

> Is there any real advantage to using HVM if I don't need to
> virtualize Windows?  And if there is, how do I go about
> passing through PCI cards to the HVM guest?  I'm trying to
> figure out if it's worth me continuing to hack on this problem.

No, if your OS can do para-virtualized that is the preferred
way to go. The only reason for HVM is if the OS cannot be
para-virtualized.

-Ross