Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.8.9 of GPL PV drivers for Windows

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.8.9 of GPL PV drivers for Windows
From: Scott McKenzie <scott.xensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 00:32:58 +1000
Delivery-date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 07:33:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:49:59 +1000, "James Harper"
<james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Here's the latest version. Took me ages to get to the bottom of what
> turned out to be a pretty simple problem - windows can give us more
> pages in a packet than Linux can handle but Linux (netback) doesn't
> complain about it, it just creates corrupt packets :(
>
> Download from http://www.meadowcourt.org/WindowsXenPV-0.8.9.zip
>
> I'll probably do another release very shortly, mainly to reduce memory
> consumption on the tx side so that more interfaces can run at once.
>
>>From the testing I've done, on a UP windows DomU, with iperf options '-l
> 1M -w 1M', with the iperf server running in Dom0, I get TX throughput of
> about 1.5Gbits/second and RX throughput of about 0.5Gbits/second. When I
> tried it under SMP it worked, but the performance was horrible. Probably
> best if you don't run it under SMP for the moment :)
>
> I did have a test performance of 2.5Gbits/second, but now that I have to
> copy the windows buffers into my own buffers to reduce page usage, I
> seem to only be able to get about 1.5Gbits/second out of it... This kind
> of makes sense given that DomU to Dom0 network performance is going to
> be CPU and Memory bandwidth bound.
>
> James

Hi James

I've tested this release on my system (fresh install) and I'm still getting
the duplicate disk problem when I boot with the /gplpv option.

There has been some talk lately that this may be a fault of the Red Hat
kernel.  FWIW I'm running CentOS 5.1 64bit, kernel is
2.6.18-53.1.14.el5xen.

Cheers
Scott