Re: [Xen-users] dd trough scp with tar

To: "David Hláčik" <david@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] dd trough scp with tar
From: "Florian Heigl" <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 23:08:07 +0200
Delivery-date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 14:08:48 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=hWlSf8fTkAEAj411lg+6+3MkjhT4E1hOw5ivJmBfy0M=; b=GzoZTcN4RfjnND2P1is2X+ddrlU/cGJkV9iVwZ9b2CCXOL1QWX3MVKajlb1E2kGWZfSG5lMF2sIR4I8Wj9it/Whi0JK5mnLVocs9v0N41rl6+o+i9Jevhl0tKgquxLGtgKaA0Fy/pa8nzYpyClgMFNz06iz/LD8y/q8q8DI0pPQ=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

2008/4/25, David Hláčik <david@xxxxxxxxx>:

> i will inside virtual machine on ESX boot from Live-CD of CentOS , using dd
> i will transfer images trought scp to CentOs machine with xen. I believe
> this one should work, machines on ESX are Windows2003 Servers.
> So what i need to find is how to write a command which will transfer image
> trought scp , but for faster transfer also compress  it before using tar, or
> gzip.
>
> so my input will be dd if=/dev/sda1 , my output will be gzipped or tarred
> image on second side. sda1.img.gz

There's also some tools (ntfsclone for one ntfs-aware tool) or g4u for
a more centralized whole-disk-image approach that might do the same.

also you might be able to extract the Raw VMDK's data on your ESX host
using VMWare cli utils and compress/scp that. I know this works with
the normal VMWare server and would assume ESX also has some utility to
ease that.

good luck :)
florian

--
'Sie brauchen sich um Ihre Zukunft keine Gedanken zu machen'