From: Just Anidiot [mailto:jistanidiot@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:53 AM
To: Tait Clarridge
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] WinXP CD-ROM problems

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Tait Clarridge
<Tait.Clarridge@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok, Have you tried shutting down the VM completely (not just a reboot)
>  and bringing it back up again?

Rebooting does cause WinXP to see the new disk in the drive.  However
that doesn't really work since rebooting in the middle of the software
install means I have to start over with disk 1.

>  Have you upgraded any part of your host recently? Or of your Xen
>  installation?

Updates are done whenever RH makes them available.

Currently installed packages are:
xen-devel-3.0.3-41.el5
kernel-xen-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5
xen-3.0.3-41.el5
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5
xen-libs-3.0.3-41.el5
kernel-xen-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5

>  Best,
>
> Tait

Anidiot

> Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:35 AM
>  To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  Subject: Re: [Xen-users] WinXP CD-ROM problems
>
>  On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Tait Clarridge
>  <Tait.Clarridge@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > If the phy:\ is removed it won't see it. That is a given, I haven't
>  had
>  >  much luck with hooking xen to a physical cdrom device.
>  >

>  This use to work about 3-5 months ago.  I haven't needed it recently
>  until today.
>
>  >  How did you copy the WinXP install disk? What messages are you
>  getting,
>  >  is it from the Xen BIOS or something else...
>  >

>  Just with dd if=/dev/cdrom of=image.iso  Its been about a year since
>  did it and that's how I installed Windows.  Of course today also
WinXP
>  thinks it needs the disk for something stupid.
>
>  >  I have had no issues installing Windows XP in Xen before... do you
>  mind
>  >  posting your entire .hvm file and maybe the specs of your rig?
>  >

>  Here's my hvm file  (with the old disk line)
>  -------------------------------
>  import os, re
>  arch = os.uname()[4]
>  if re.search('64', arch):
>     arch_libdir = 'lib64'
>  else:
>     arch_libdir = 'lib'
>
>  kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
>
>  builder='hvm'
>
>  memory=512
>
>  shadow_memory = 8
>
>  name = "WinXP-001"
>
>  vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
>
>  disk = [ 'phy:/dev/VG_Guests/WinXP-001,ioemu:hda,w',
>  'file:/opt/xen_stuff/winxp.iso,hdc:cdrom,w',
>  'phy:/dev/scd0,hdd:cdrom,r' ]
>
>  device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
>
>  boot="cd"
>
>  sdl=0
>
>  vnc=1
>
>  vnclisten="127.0.0.1"