Re: [Xen-users] 64bit guest on 32bit host

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] 64bit guest on 32bit host
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:19:13 +0100
Cc: Antonio Lobato <lobato@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 08:19:49 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  great! thank you all!
>  Unfortunately it is what I though :(
>
>  I`m building this guest as a live backup of a physical 64bit
>  machine running debian etch.
>  So, I think the best way, in such case, is to run a 32bit guest,
>  configure all services like the original and only make daily
>  copies of critical data (databases, mailboxes and some
>  variable confs like squid acls).

Yes, that sounds sensible.  Be careful to take measures to ensure that the
backups are consistent; just copying the files that are in use by the
applications may result in inconsistent copies being made, which could result
in data loss.  For really good reliability you ought to take a look in to
recommended backup practices for each app you want to sync data for.

>  Regarding qemu, it appears very good, but has not the excellent
>  performance of xen, am I right?

There are various performance arguments but if you're running 64-bit on a
32-bit host using Qemu then performance will suffer a lot.  I don't think
you'd want to run an active server like that.

Cheers,
Mark