RE: [Xen-users] Network Interface Options

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> >I believe it is. If I'm wrong please let me know. I have an
> >HVM here I'll throw my sound card to it and let you know
> >what it sees. If it doesn't see it and can use it I'll
> >try with Jim's Windows PV drivers and let you know.
> >
> >-Ross
>
> I can also try with those PV drivers, but when I installed
> them in my Win XP box it blue screened :)

Yeah, they are real alpha stage stuff... James can can help
give some pointers on how to install them properly.

> Do they need ACPI off (I only tested it with it enabled
> before you suggested to disable it).

Actually I just discovered it needs hardware VT-D support
for it to work... and my test machine doesn't have it.

If you aren't familiar with VT-D it's IO virtualization and
does for IO what VMX/SVM does for CPU virtualization.

> I have a realtek LOM that is disabled on my test system that
> I can pass through.
>
> I tried to find some definitive docs to say how to set this
> up but I couldn't find anything clear on it. What do I need
> to do assuming that I already know how to enumerate the pci location.

Yeah, HVM IO virtualization is brand spanking new and only
the very latest high-end CPUs and chipsets support it.

> I thought I need to hide it from the xen by entering it in
> the grub kernel line, but I also so someone suggest to hide
> it modprobe.conf?
> I was reading this: http://www.wlug.org.nz/XenPciPassthrough
> Is that accurate to follow?

Here's a little quick and dirty PCI pass-through example,
taken from my own machine when I removed the sound driver
and tried to pass it through to Xen.

First commented out the sound driver config, rmmod the
sound driver (after removing processes that were using it),
then added the pciback options...

Of course you get the PCI bus id from good ole lspci.

modprobe.conf:
alias eth0 b44
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
alias net-pf-10 off
options pciback hide=(00:10.1)
install snd-hda-intel /usr/sbin/modprobe pciback; /sbin/modprobe --first-time
--ignore-install snd-hda-intel
#alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
#options snd-card-0 index=0
#options snd-hda-intel index=0
#remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel

I then did a modprobe pciback, and dmesg'd to see if it
was seized like such:

ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:10.1 disabled
pciback 0000:00:10.1: seizing device
PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:10.1 (0000 -> 0002)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:10.1[B] -> Link [AAZA] -> GSI 23 (level, low) ->
IRQ 16
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:10.1 disabled

And in my WinXP.hvm file down were it set acpi/apic and
cpu affinity I inserted the pci = option...

WinXP.hvm:
# Enable/disable HVM APIC mode, default=1 (enabled)
# Note that this option is ignored if vcpus > 1
apic=1

pci = [ '00:10.1' ]

# List of which CPUS this domain is allowed to use, default Xen picks
#cpus = ""         # leave to Xen to pick
#cpus = "0"        # all vcpus run on CPU0
#cpus = "0-3,5,^1" # run on cpus 0,2,3,5

If you need the pciback loaded early in the boot process
to seize devices as soon as possible, and avoid having
to put the dumb install /usr/sbin/modprobe... stuff in
your modprobe.conf, you can do this:

mkinitrd -f --preload=pciback /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

This will make sure pciback module loads before all
others.

-Ross