Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 Crashes on High I/O

To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 Crashes on High I/O
From: "Stefan de Konink" <skinkie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 23:14:48 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 14:15:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> I have mentioned it on xen-devel, and probably on bugzilla. And is one
>> of
>> the reasons to use iSCSI over NFS. Someone told me that it could be
>> fixed
>> by setting the memory overcommit for Linux to 'do not do it'. That is
>> some
>> setting in /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> Henri,

I guess you mean me :)

> To help people understand what you're seeing, can you tell us some more
> about
> your setup?  Is it possible that it's a problem like this (which may be
> provoked by such setups as virtual disk files stored on NFS, etc...).

Stupid Dell 1950 with 8GB of memory. A NetApp NFS server or if you like a
Linux one or if you like an OpenSolaris one. Nothing fancy from that point
of view.

> It'd be useful to know whether you'd been able to try the upstream
> XenSource
> XenLinux (which really ought to work, if anything does - otherwise it's
> definitely an upstream XenLinux bug!).  Out of interest, where did you
> source
> the rest of your Xen 3.2 installation - Ubuntu packages, source tarball
> from
> Xensource, or ... ?

This quote you refer to is all based on Gentoo Linux.

> Also, I gather this machine is in a remote hosting facility somewhere?  Is
> it
> possible that some kind of kernel panic message is being printed to the
> display when crashes?  Can someone in the datacentre have a look?  Better
> than that would probably be to get a serial line hooked up so that any
> crash-time output can be captured - even if the system is too far gone to
> log
> it to disk.  Do you think this might be possible?

If you tell me how to get a dump of Xen on a machine that is actually
crashing I'm happy to assist. Please contact me in private.

Stefan