Re: [Xen-users] xen new throws python error

Daniel Kao wrote on Wed, 02 Apr 2008 12:30:48 -0700:

> I noticed that also.  It will read my "old" configuration files located in
/etc/xen either using "xm create" to start a guest domain from the CLI/shell or
in
the Virtual Machine Manager in GNOME.

Yes, xm create works like normal, but then you don't get the "advantages" of
xenstore. I understood the scarce documentation about "xm new" to provide just
that: add a domain to xenstore.

> All the new files created for new guests with Xen 3.2 are stored in
/var/lib/xend/domains/ with a UID and a single config.sxp.  To start up a guest
domain with the new config.sxp files, I use the following command from the
CLI/shell:
> # xm create --config=/var/lib/xend/domains/UID/config.sxp

I created a file with

> For the old Python ones:
> # xm create guest_domain_name
> If the above doesn't work, this should (Note: this is for the old config
> files):
> # xm create --defconfig=/etc/xen/guest_domain_config
> You can replace --config with -F and --defconfig with -f.

I tried that now with create instead of new. The results are "mixed" to say the
least.

xm create -f /etc/xen/news -n > /etc/xen/news.sxp

creates an sxp file format with a plain text line "using file blabla" in the
first
line. So, you have to remove/comment that line before it works (actually, it
still
doesn't work, see below).

xm create -F /etc/xen/news -n > /etc/xen/news.sxp

doesn't create any XML output, just that first line I mention above. I

In other words: it doesn't work at all.
Also, there's a bug in all the help output
-f=FILE, --defconfig=FILE
is not correct, what works is:
-f FILE, --defconfig=FILE
e.g. the - parameter still doesn't like =, it takes it as part of the path.

Well, now that I have created /etc/xen/lvmtest2.sxp I want to make use of it:
mambo:~ xm create --defconfig=/etc/xen/lvmtest2.sxp
Using config file "/etc/xen/lvmtest2.sxp".
Error: Errors were found at line 3 while processing /etc/xen/lvmtest2.sxp:
            (name lvmtest2)

So, what's wrong with that? It doesn't like the configuration it created by its
own?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany