Fwd: Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.8.7 of GPL PV drivers for Windows

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fwd: Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.8.7 of GPL PV drivers for Windows
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:58:01 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 09:58:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Sunday 30 March 2008
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Sunday March 30 2008 08:04:46 am you wrote:
> Well... what _should_ happen is that DPInst.exe (the Microsoft provided
> thing that gets called by install.bat) should copy all the drivers into
> Windows. Anything that is detect gets installed immediately, anything
> else gets installed next time it is detected. Are you saying your
> experience is contrary to this?

The files get copied, but the Xen PV nic isn't detected, except for the hidden
devices.

> I found recently (eg an hour ago) a domain that crashed during update,
> and left a dodgy version of WdfConInstaller01007.sys around, which meant
> nothing else would install. That probably gave a fairly obvious message
> though.

Just to be careful, I just deleted an old copy of WdfCoInstaller01005.sys, but
then re-running install.bat won't do anything. The wizard must do something
like check the registry, and ignore updating if the same version is already
installed. Either that, or a device not detected, is what 'Ready to use'
means to me. Eg - I just copied the 0.8.4 xen*.sys files to c:
\windows\system32\drivers, and then re-ran the 0.8.7 install.bat, and the
newer files were not copied back, and all drivers were shown as "Ready to
use" in the last wizard screen.

Out of curiosity, is there any harm in running the 0.8.4 install.bat? Will it
handle downgrading gracefully?

> Xenhide.sys gets attached to the windows PCI driver via xenpci.inf. I
> think there is no really nice solution to this problem unfortunately.
> The bad thing about the 'Xen PCI Device Hider' was that windows would
> sometimes replace it with it's own 'PCI Bus' driver again without
> telling me (probably during a service pack or hotfix) and would cause
> massive corruption to the system. The massive corruption problem should
> be solved, but I'd rather stick with the current solution...

Yeah, auto-reverting drivers is bad. And corruption is Really Bad (tm).