Re: [Xen-users] Xen and PPC and ARM

To: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen and PPC and ARM
From: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:52:27 +0200
Cc: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:51:13 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> You can, in fact, run a 32-bit PAE dom0 and a 64-bit domU, provided Xen
>> itself is 64-bit.  This might even perform better than using a 64-bit
>> dom0, due to various differences between x86_64 and x86_32 - it's crazy
>> stuff.
>
> I meant running a 64bit guest running on a 32bit host sitting on a 32bit
> hardware.
> It's not possible, unless emulated.

My question was not about hardware of course.

Thank you Mark,
thank you Thomasz.

New crazy questions.

Is it possible to make PCI passthrough without
domU stopping?

I know that I can hide devices from dom0
without reboot, but what about hot PCI devices passing?
Is it possible?

And another question.

What do you think about the idea:

Is it possible (at least theoretically) to change dom0 into domU and
some domU into dom0 without rebooting the system?
AFAIU, to do this we should pass all dom0 devices to
another domain and after that make reattaching of the
running domUs devices from current dom0 to the "new dom0".

Or more easy task.

Presume,
we have maid lightweight dom0
that uses initrd only (he also can use external devices
when booting new domains).
And than we have maid lightweight domU (DOMAIN1)
that uses initrd only. It does not use network and disks.

At some point we have these two domains running (dom0 and DOMAIN1).
None of them uses disk and network.

Can we make change DOMAIN1 into dom0 (and former dom0 into say DOMAIN2)?

Or it's crazy idea ant it's better not to think about it?

--
WBR, i.m.chubin