Re: [Xen-users] peth0: transmit timed out - xen 3.2 / 2.6.18

To: "Henri Cook" <henri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] peth0: transmit timed out - xen 3.2 / 2.6.18
From: "Ben Holt" <beanjammin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 02:04:54 -0700
Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 02:05:26 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=p8ux6n+wlVsxrc0aNiy4HgYDAV3XFrDpKSpC/8xEfUE=; b=Gu6K853bqxzPB9h8l7eGAKheUipi5/jNTHEJOlrXY3ivRP839ubPu5ZXhAyc6ZgNJzmgH2b0j11HWqC+sDZnT+N8IrSlCr3qTvviFfxv9JYMwfOcMY48KoaUQNbQKkwZuTJJYz980SY9PBzK89RU+M0I6kYDWNGkhiCXGlzVUj8=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 14/03/2008, Henri Cook <henri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have exactly this issue; if anyone has a solution I would be very
>  interested, the only different with our setup is that i'm running ubuntu
>  gutsy (server ed.)
>
>  My system's currently been stable for ~6 days after i tried some messing
>  around with ethtool (which strangely couldn't actually change the speed
>  or auto negotiation settings) - before that it was dying every few days
>  easily

Henry,

Since my earlier email I have had another peth0 transmit timed out
issue that may shed some light on the problem.

Prior to preparing to reboot I brought down and then back up peth0,
with no effect.  I then started shutting down the domUs and noticed
that when I shutdown a particular domU that has hardware passed to it
peth0 started to work again.  After digging a little deeper I found
that an IRQ was being shared between one of the devices on the domU
and peth0.

I have made changes so that peth0 is no longer sharing its IRQ.  I
will watch over the next few days and will let you know if this
appears to fix the problem.

- Ben