Re: [Xen-users] domU HVM network problem

To: "Max E. Baro" <MEB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] domU HVM network problem
From: Carles Pina i Estany <carles@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 22:53:32 +0100
Cc: "'xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 15:05:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

On Mar/09/2008, Max E. Baro wrote:
> Sorry, I guess I forgot to elaborate on the rest of the setup to make it
> work.

don't worrie...

> I modified vif-route because the default behavior is to set the eth0
> ip address to the vif interface and I could never get that to work
> properly.  Instead I assign the IP in the configuration file as you
> did, but I assign a network number address, not a host address.

in /etc/xend/machine.cfg, do you assign a network address?  Could you
show me what do you mean? I'm not sure if I get the point :-(

[here you explained some changes in vif-route, I did it and now the
vifXX.0 has the domU IP and not dom0, good!]

> Then in config I assign IP as "192.168.1.0".  This is important because you

in the domU config? in the vif line? If I set up ['ip=192.168.0.0,type=ioemu'],
after xm create NAME I get:
----
Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Backend device not found.
----
(Are you using the same network for domU and dom0? -192.168.1.0/24- or
are you using two different networks? -like 192.168.1.0/24 and
192.168.0.0/24?)

> will cause a conflict with the eth0 adapter inside the domU.  In my domU I
> configure ifcfg-eth0 with IPADDRESS=192.168.1.2.  AFTER the domU is started
> I assign IP address 192.168.1.1 to the tap/tun device created in dom0 for
> that domain.

ok I understand (but I cannot ping it from domU to dom0 :-( )

> Here is where the problem with routing comes in.  The tap/tun device created
> is not specific to the domU id in anyway, it depends in what order the
> domU's are created.  If you have two HVM domains and each only one nic
> assigned, then the first one to be created will use device tap0 and the
> second one created will use tap1.  I have not found a way to specify which
> tap device to create so I cannot assign the IP address for the tap device
> automatically on startup.

well, I will be able to handle it in some way... after I have one
machine working :-)

Thank you a lot again, I think that I'm the last steps (I hope!)

--
Carles Pina i Estany            GPG id: 0x8CBDAE64
        http://pinux.info       Manresa - Barcelona